amfori BEPI was founded in 2013 and provides a comprehensive range of services that enable companies to drive focused environmental improvements in their supply chain and to trade with purpose.
amfori BEPI is a product supporting retailers, importers and brands to improve environmental performance in supplying factories worldwide. The amfori BEPI framework is based on the GSCP Environmental Module:
- Based on industry best practices
- Harmonize existing efforts
- Deliver common, consistent and global approach
- Across all sectors
- Continuous improvement
- 11 Environmental Performance Areas
amfori BEPI Environmental assessments will help the facility understand how well they are managing environmental issues, how to improve the performance thanks to the proposed correction actions plan and how will communicate and promote the performance with their stakeholders.
amfori BEPI Chemical Management Audits (CMA) evaluate the level of implementation of an organization’s chemical management system and determine the capability and effectiveness of the management system ensuring continual conformity with customer requirements, statutory and regulatory requirements and the defined scope of activities. The audit protocol is to be used for factories from the textile and footwear sector only.
Covers a comprehensive scope of 11 environmental performance areas ranging from energy use and greenhouse gases to chemical management, and BEPI’s clear five-step approach enables companies to drive continuous improvement through supply chain mapping and analysis.
The assessments include two chapters: The assessment of legal compliance and the assessment of Environmental Performance.
Chemical Management Audits:
The CMA is primarily intended for locations where chemicals are used in daily operations and processes, for example: Fabric/Dyeing Mills, Wet processing, Tanneries, Printing houses and Laundries, among others. The audit protocol follows the ZDHC audit foundational level.
amfori BEPI’s Environmental Assessment covers a comprehensive scope of environmental areas combined with a methodology based on the International Reference Life Cycle Data System (ILCD) data to shortlist the environmental hot spots for each producer. Out of the eleven PAs presented below, each facility is assessed against the 4 most applicable, in addition to the first (EMS).
- Environmental Management System
- Energy Use, Transport and Greenhouse Gases (GHG)
- Water Use
- Wastewater / Effluent
- Emissions to Air
- Waste Management
- Pollution Prevention and Chemicals
- Major Incident Prevention and Management
- Contaminated Land / Soil and Groundwater Pollution Prevention
- Land Use and Biodiversity
- Environmental Nuisances
amfori BEPI Chemical Management Audits, covers the following topics
- Wastewater /Effluent
- Emissions to air
- Health and safety
- Chemical Management
How long is an amfori BEPI audit valid?
The validity of an assessment/audit “cycle” is 24 months, therefore a new activity can be asked after 24 months from the latest one.
The facility will receive an Initial assessment/audit, and a Follow-up assessment/audit to close the NC’s.
Benefits of having an amfori BEPI audit:
- Efficiently drive environmental and chemical management improvements in your supply chain
- Collaborate with industry peers to save time and resources, and reduce duplication of efforts
- Increase resilience to industry and market changes
- Improve businesses’ reputation by meeting customers and stakeholder expectations